A deeply satisfying and nourishing soup, shouraba addis offers a gentle spice and herb flavoring that can stand on its own or be enjoyed with flatbread. Served with a sparkling cucumber-tomato salad dressed with lemon juice, this soup becomes a delicious well-balanced meal. Recipe Servings: Serves 4
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 cup (200 g) red lentils
- 1/4 cup (50 g) rice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 6 cups (1.4 l) water
- 2 threads saffron
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped parsley
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil on medium high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add rice and coat with mixture.
- Add lentils, water, saffron, cinnamon, and cumin. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer on medium low for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
Recipe introduction and directions © Copyright 2016-2022 World Trade Press. All rights reserved.